APISIX ingress controller can be configured using native Kubernetes ingress resources as well as a declarative and easy to use custom resources provided by APISIX. The APISIX ingress controller converts these resources to APISIX configuration.
The examples below show how these differ. Both the examples configure a Route in APISIX that routes to an httpbin service as the Upstream.
- APISIX Ingress custom resource
- Kubernetes ingress resource
- name: route-1
- serviceName: httpbin
- host: local.httpbin.org
See Design to learn more about how APISIX ingress controller works under the hood.
To summarize, APISIX ingress controller has the following features:
- Declarative configuration with CRDs.
- Fully dynamic configuration.
- Supports native Kubernetes Ingress resource (both v1 and v1beta1).
- Supports service discovery through Kubernetes Service.
- Out-of-the-box node health check support.
- Supports load balancing based on pods (Upstream nodes).
- Rich Plugins with custom Plugin support.
You can contribute to the development of APISIX ingress controller. See Development guide for instructions on setting up the project locally.
See the Contribute to APISIX section for details on the contributing flow.
The table below shows the compatibility between APISIX ingress controller and the APISIX proxy.
|APISIX ingress controller||Supported APISIX versions||Recommended APISIX version|